PhotographyToday.net

Discussions, Community, Learning

R. Konishi Half-Plate Field Camera.

When medium format isn't big enough: 4x5, 5x7, 9x12, 8x10 and even larger.
alexvaras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

R. Konishi Half-Plate Field Camera.

Postby alexvaras » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:04 pm

Here it's the camera, two lenses, tripod and three double film holders.

ImageR. Konishi field camera.

The lens has four elements, rear two cemented, front ones spaced. Still I need to clean them and fix the light leak from the lens thread at the wooden holder.

Bellows are ok after so many years.

The ground glass, its matte side is at the outside, is this ok or should I place it looking inside?

I checked one and it's light tight, lets see other ones. Anyway until I don't shoot I won't know for sure.

Another surprise for me, it has a glass inside to make the film plane, is this a normal thing?
Dimensions of the film are 12x16.5, half plate as many some said before. Hard to get I think, anyway I will place a 4x5 film in the middle and I make the test, or is it worthless?

A very nice tripod with very nice points to stand still on soil, wooden floors but not ceramic as my house.

Another lens came, Universal Rapid Aplanat Series E No.3, two elements?

So two questions to start with:
1) Glass inside the film holder?
2) Ground glass mate side inside or outside.

The cleaning will come after I fix(glue) the shutter plate guides at the front, some did force and both of them have cracks about to fall apart, so now the camera is opened and shutter holder plus bellows removed to avoid more tension on this part, tomorrow fine day, later cleaning and weekend shooting if I can place a 4x5 sheet inside in my dark bag. :D

Thank you for watching and please any advice is welcome.
Alex

PFMcFarland
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: R. Konishi Half-Plate Field Camera.

Postby PFMcFarland » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:56 pm

I sure you'll have it in top shape before long, Alex.

PF
Waiting for the light

Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Brazile » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:00 am

Looks like a nice old camera, Alex. Yes, the ground side of the glass goes toward the lens. One of the first things you'll want to do is validate that by testing the registration of the ground glass vs the film plane via the usual method of aiming down 45 degrees at a specific mark on a ruler or longer measuring stick, exposing a sheet, developing it, and checking the result.

I haven't seen a glass backing for the film plane, but I am far from an expert on cameras of this type. Steven Tribe on LFPF would be the person I'd look to for expertise in these older European models.

Half-plate film is hard to come by, but a) Ilford does a special-size cutting once a year, so it's possible, b) I've seen whole plate film still available in several places (I have a box for my one whole plate camera, a Seneca, which I haven't tried yet) and you could cut it. But your idea of just registering a sheet of 4x5 is by far the easiest and cheapest way to go, short of cutting down X-ray film, or just shooting paper negatives to start. That latter is one I'd be tempted to do in your position.

Have fun, and keep us posted...

Robert

alexvaras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby alexvaras » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:23 am

Nice trick shooting the ruler at 45 degress, thank you!
The paper method was the one I was thinking when buying this camera, Im not sure about film negative option yet.
If I find a 5x7 set develop set gor negative that goes for this sizes I could start looking, I need to ask on forums and/or go to shops and try myself with self cut film and try it with the set available at the moment.
Also the next step is to take an Epson 4990 valid up to 8x10 and skip paying the lab for scanning.

Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Brazile » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:33 am

Yes, I've never paid for scanning. I have a V700 (follow-on to the 4990, very similar) and am happy enough with it. If I ever produce something I really want to enlarge, I can pay to have it drum scanned, but I haven't seen the need yet.

Robert

GrahamS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Postby GrahamS » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:46 am

I have seen glass fronted film holders in some large format cameras, particularly older ones. The film sheet was difficult to keep perfectly flat otherwise. The glass used was optically flat so beware to take care of it.
GrahamS
“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.” Mark Twain

Social Media

Return to “Large Format”