Voigtlander Superb Model I - Skopar

Share your advice about camera repair or ask a question.
titrisol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Voigtlander Superb Model I - Skopar

Post by titrisol » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:11 am

Awesome camera, original or retrofit? as long as it works!
If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)

alexvaras
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by alexvaras » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:49 am

And now... something completely different!!

The second Superb.

I think I will follow my own notes on this... if something new I will add it here.
So far this model only differs on the handles for the strap, not 'ears' anymore, plain and boring now :)

alexvaras
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by alexvaras » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:52 pm

Something new about Superb...

The spring for closing the WLF is removable for taking out the ground glass (which is railed) without opening the full WLF as other cameras.

Why screws and no rivets??

Voigtlander engineering.

Someone changed the mirror from here, home made mirror as I see.

It took me 1 hour removing the 6 screws from the WLF, I think I'm the first doing this...

alexvaras
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by alexvaras » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:26 am

The WLF opening was not good, many parts badly bended and all the spring but one not well positioned or made. After dismounting all parts I straightened the bars, cleaned and sanded removing marks. New springs made the WLF opening as good as it can be.

WLF fixed!

Now time for the mirror and the ground glass, the first was ordered to Martin Seelig who always did a excellent job and the second to Rick Oleson and his famous Bright-screens. Both arrived a week ago among more mirror and screen for clients cameras and the installation of the mirror was “easy”, the hardest part was removing the “toilet” mirror previously installed.

Mirror in place.

Martin always provides shims when the camera model requires it, bellow the mirror so it stays the closest possible to the viewing lens, also in this camera some holder for the mirror is missing (to keep the mirror not moving and and down) so I placed foam seals from a RB67 back to do the job.

Next is to check the taking and viewing lens if they are collimated or I need a correction, my guess is that if nobody opened this camera before (and I was the first) both taking lens and viewing lens should be fine if I placed the mirror exactly as it should go.

PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:33 pm

That's always a possibility. Alex. Still, you may need to remove the lenses for cleaning.

PF
Waiting for the light

alexvaras
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by alexvaras » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:30 am

PFMcFarland wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:33 pm
That's always a possibility. Alex. Still, you may need to remove the lenses for cleaning.

PF
I have checked infinity and close focus with ground glass already mounted, it’s a good match.
I gave up trying to unscrew the front lens from the shutter, I have tried everything so far. I will test the lens with light haze between elements, otherwise perfect.
Same as viewing lens, once I do the test and I like the photos or not I will go for opening the focusing helicoids for cleaning and lubricating them back, including taking out the helicoids from viewing lens and its cleaning, same light haze.
Now 5 cameras for testing and few time plus not good weather for walking around...