PhotographyToday.net

Discussions, Community, Learning

Today's (partial) eclipse

With interchangeable lenses and larger sensors, these two popular camera styles appeal to the professional in all of us.
melek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Today's (partial) eclipse

Postby melek » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:39 pm

OK, so I didn't do much to prepare for this, other than getting my welding goggles and 500mm mirror lens.

We only got a partial eclipse - about 74%, I think.

The clouds moved in just at the right time, allowing me to pop off a few shots. The clouds acted as a 100X ND filter, I think. Even with a 74% eclipse, I was still only getting a bright blob in the clear sky.

I probably did need to pick up a solar filter. Maybe for the next one in seven years.
DSC00919.jpg
DSC00943.jpg
DSC00947.jpg

And a short video that shows how it got much sharper when the clouds moved in.

https://youtu.be/cwoFTE2Y3F8

Technical info: Sony A7II with 500mm catadioptric lens set at f/16. ISO was set at 50 with exposure compensation dialed down to -3EV. I shot RAW and converted in Corel AfterShot2 - a pretty decent program, I have to say. Shutter speeds ran from 1/1,600 to 1/8,000.

Just looked, and the first one was shot at ISO 320 with no exposure compensation.
-Mike Elek

PFMcFarland
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Today's (partial) eclipse

Postby PFMcFarland » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:29 pm

Neat! I made a couple of viewing boxes (PFM Sunviewer Mk I and Mk II), and found my glasses that came free in an issue of Astronomy magazine from the '79 eclipse. I thought about cutting up one of the glasses to make a filter for the Nikon P7700, but figured the neighbors would appreciate being able to use them. Had a nice little get together in the back yard of the apartments.

We were right on the 90% line, and true to form the clouds formed up when it was only about at 50%. They miraculously parted when the time for 90% came, but then closed up again, looking like the rest of the day was shot. I went to the grocery store then, and after getting back the clouds had parted again, so I was able to watch the last 30 seconds or so of the moon moving away.

PF
Waiting for the light

titrisol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Today's (partial) eclipse

Postby titrisol » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:45 pm

Excellent, I went old school and made a filter with 2 dark x-ray plates
I was shooting at about 1/160 @ISO 160 and needed to add +0.3 in post processing
It as really neat, I havent done this since 98
If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)

Social Media

Return to “SLRs and Rangefinders”