Oops...

Share your advice about camera repair or ask a question.
scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 509
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:06 am
x 1
x 51
Contact:

Re: Oops...

Post by scott » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:59 pm

titrisol wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:41 pm
LOL, I sitll have those elements from an Jsolette I've been juggling with for months... no budging yet
If an extended period of heating from a hair dryer doesn't let me separate them, I think I'm investing in these:

alexvaras
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 978
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:01 pm
x 39
x 98
Contact:

Re: Oops...

Post by alexvaras » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:24 am

Maybe that’s gonna be too thick for the job, I bought the XS size when they did very well.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Othe ... 4026728365

titrisol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:14 am
x 83
x 42
Contact:

Re: Oops...

Post by titrisol » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:57 am

I have tried those, I even 3dprinted my own lens wrenches to fit the elements perfectly (If you want the STLs let me know)

I couldn;t find PB Blaster locally, but finally found it last weekend at ACE hardware so I'm soking the elements on that and will see what happens
(sorry for high jacking the thread)
If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)

alexvaras
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 978
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:01 pm
x 39
x 98
Contact:

Re: Oops...

Post by alexvaras » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:39 am

I’m not sure if I fully understood, the problem is to separate the two front elements that are threatened, right?
Have you tried to drop so lighter fluid to dissolve the grease? Or any other grease solution.
When I did one Isolette III I remember it was quite solid but I don’t recall I had problems with this part, just patience and lighter fluid did the job.
scott wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:59 pm
titrisol wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:41 pm
LOL, I sitll have those elements from an Jsolette I've been juggling with for months... no budging yet
If an extended period of heating from a hair dryer doesn't let me separate them, I think I'm investing in these:

titrisol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:14 am
x 83
x 42
Contact:

Re: Oops...

Post by titrisol » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:32 am

Yes, that is the problem and the AGFA epoxy grease has been treated with lighter fluid, acetone, penetrating oil, and generous applications of heat (dryer)
Lots of green flakes at the beginning but the 2 elements havent budged so far
alexvaras wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:39 am
I’m not sure if I fully understood, the problem is to separate the two front elements that are threatened, right?
Have you tried to drop so lighter fluid to dissolve the grease? Or any other grease solution.
When I did one Isolette III I remember it was quite solid but I don’t recall I had problems with this part, just patience and lighter fluid did the job.
If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)

alexvaras
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 978
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:01 pm
x 39
x 98
Contact:

Re: Oops...

Post by alexvaras » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:46 am

Then if it doesn’t come out with these chemicals my next move would be paint stripper applied locally in the thread (only), that would slowly take out layers after layers, slow process but never failed me.

scott
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 509
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:06 am
x 1
x 51
Contact:

Re: Oops...

Post by scott » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:07 pm

I've only once had the Bayer grease not loosen with heat: I had a Super Speedex once (one of two cameras I ever regret selling...). Absolutely could not even budge the helical. Deciding I'd rather invest in the camera than booger it trying something else, I sent it off to Jurgen Kreckel. He got it cleaned and lubed and sent it back. When I asked how he'd gotten it apart, he replied that he has a trained gorilla for just such a situation...

titrisol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:14 am
x 83
x 42
Contact:

Re: Oops...

Post by titrisol » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:24 pm

PFMcFarland recommended PB Blaster... after 3 days in the stuff it moved!
I'm a believer!

It smells like a combination of aliphatic and aromatic low weight hydrocarbons and it dissolved the agfa green goo.
A paper towel full and 3 qtips of green
If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)

epatsellis
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:28 pm
x 3
Contact:

Re: Oops...

Post by epatsellis » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:26 am

For future reference, it PB Blaster doesn’t work, AeroKroil is ridiculously expensive but has never failed me.

titrisol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:14 am
x 83
x 42
Contact:

Re: Oops...

Post by titrisol » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:56 pm

Thanks @epatsellis just did a quick search for it.
Aerokroil is now Kroil Original Penetrant; they were acquired by some private capital last year.
They also have a precision lubricant (Microil) which seems perfect for our purposes
I wish they had a local distributor, $11 for 8oz is expensive, but not so bad.
https://www.kroil.com/where-to-buy/
If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests