PhotographyToday.net

Discussions, Community, Learning

Zooming with Nikkors

Talk about single-lens reflex cameras, lenses and accessories.
Julio1fer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Zooming with Nikkors

Postby Julio1fer » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:00 pm

Got a couple of new, to me, Nikkor zooms: 100-300 f/5.6 and 35-105 f/3.5 to 4.5.

The 100-300 is a solid, long piece of plastic. The lens has a single control ring that slides on the full length of the main tube - close to you for the 300mm, far end for 100mm, total length of the lens remains fixed as you change focal distance.

I read that this zoom was meant for sports, and it makes a lot of sense - it can be operated quickly hand held.

These two were taken in a sunny day in the main harbor, Bellavista area. First one about 135mm and second one 300mm, both full frame. Probably f/8 aperture.

Sharpness cannot be compared to the 105/2.5 in the shorter end of the range, but it does the job. I found an old case of a wine bottle that works beautifully as a lens container for this monster, with appropiate foam lining.

The 35-105 is a more common lens, a typical kit zoom. I got this type after recommendation of PF here, and he was right about convenience and weight. These two from today, overcast skies with mist and light rain. First one about 3/4 crop of the full frame, second one full frame. Aperture f/5.6.

This zoom could be handy for travel; I prefer using a single lens on trips. I had forgotten how convenient zooms are!

The test roll took almost two months to finish. I am getting lazy, winter is upon us in the Southern hemisphere, and the World Cup in Russia is played at the same time that I usually go out for pictures in the weekends.

Film was FP4+ in Beutler. Thanks for looking!

minoly
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Zooming with Nikkors

Postby minoly » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:27 pm

Was the second photo using the 100-300 mm taken handheld? I can't see any signs of camera movement. If so, with your steadiness (using FP-4!) and that lens you could truly reach out in some travel situations. I like my 35-105mm Minolta lens a lot for putting it on the camera and pretty much leaving it on for everything. Both of your Nikkors seem to have passed the test with high grades.

Bill Delehanty

PFMcFarland
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Postby PFMcFarland » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:03 am

I really like the moodiness of the 35-105mm shots, Julio. I remember packing my 100-300mm on a couple of runs, but not getting around to using it. Will have to remedy that in the future.

PF
Waiting for the light

alexvaras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby alexvaras » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:20 am

Impressive Julio, what a lens that 100-300!!
I agree with Phil, I can feel the rain on the second ones, how much I miss the sea!!

Julio1fer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Postby Julio1fer » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:13 am

Thanks for the kind comments! The little harbor for fishing boats is a favorite subject of mine, as you probably could tell.

Bill,

Was the second photo using the 100-300 mm taken handheld?

Yes, handheld. In my experience, one can safely shoot lenses at about twice their focal length, or shorter exposures. In this case, 1/500 for 300mm would work for me. I think this one was exposed at 1/500 in f/8.

This large and heavy lens could be difficult to use with a tripod because it does not have a separate tripod mount.

I was not planning to get this large zoom because I do not use large focal distances very much. My original target was a 28-50 that went out of my price window. This 100-300 came out very cheap and it helped to share shipping costs from a Japanese auction site. A further step down the slippery slope!

Social Media

Return to “SLRs”