PhotographyToday.net

Discussions, Community, Learning

Flickr has a new owner!

News from manufacturers. Product announcements.
PFMcFarland
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Flickr has a new owner!

Postby PFMcFarland » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:53 am

For those of you who use Flickr, you've probably seen the news that SmugMug has taken it off Verizon's hands for an undisclosed amount (they're so proud, they don't want you to know how much they got took for). But that will come out eventually, not that it really matters. PetaPixel seems to think it's a good deal for Flickr users, as SmugMug does not use sold advertising space to prop up the business. But what it could mean is no more free rides. Not that that bothers me, because I already pay for my account, though I can see the yearly amount going up on the next renewal. It depends on how SmugMug integrates the two systems, as I read that SM has fees from $4 to $40 depending on how many features you choose to have. With Flickr it was all in or not, and I was grandfathered in at $25 for my Pro account. It's a little late in the day, so I'll have to check out SM more some other time.

Here is the SmugMug home site if you want to find out for yourself (maybe switch from whatever service you are using now). https://www.smugmug.com/

PF
Waiting for the light

Philip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Flickr has a new owner!

Postby Philip » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:38 am

I too was grandfathered in with the Flickr Pro fee, and I wonder what changes this will bring. The new FAQ talks mostly in generalities and back-slaps but I guess it is early yet.

I never heard of SmugMug until its candied-doughnuts icon turned up on my Flickr page. I went looking for information and was struck by a lot of big photos that seemed to tell me little. I am a *little* worried by their interest in what they call "stories." I think that means "video" to a lot of people these days.

Time will tell.
My Flickrs: http://www.flickr.com/flipflik (recent postings), or
- http://www.flickriver.com/photos/flipflik/popular-interesting/ (Flickr's calculation of my "most interesting" pics);
- http://www.flickr.com/photos/flipflik/sets/72157608879115542/ (what I like best).

titrisol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby titrisol » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:10 pm

Eeeek
SmugMug is not bad, but it will probably be a loss
If you can't fix it with a hammer... you got an electrical problem
even duct tape can't fix stupid.... but it can muffle it (SilentObserver)
My Flickr -ipernity
Thanks CE Nelson ;)

PFMcFarland
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Postby PFMcFarland » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:34 pm

So far, if you read the SmugMug FAQ page, they are going to maintain Flickr as a separate entity for the immediate future, while slowly integrating the two systems together. Some folks with a Pro account have gotten an e-mail saying they will have to agree to the SM T.O.S., and move their photos over there by May 25th, or lose their photos. Alternatively, they can download all their photos, and close their Flickr account if they don't wish to join SmugMug. I have not gotten one of those e-mails yet, but I figure they are putting them out in batches so there isn't a big run on the servers. But then that means some folks are getting a head start on the process, while the rest of us will have less time to make up our minds.

PF
Waiting for the light

Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Brazile » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:09 am

I just got mine. Doesn't sound like things are changing much, if at all, for a while. Going to sit tight and see where it goes...

Robert

alexvaras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby alexvaras » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:14 am

Now its time for new start'ups to show up after flickr starts changing things people dont like...

jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby jamesmck » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:17 am

PFMcFarland wrote:Some folks with a Pro account have gotten an e-mail saying they will have to agree to the SM T.O.S., and move their photos over there by May 25th, or lose their photos.PF

Are Pro subscribers being treated differently than lesser users?
James McKearney
Washington, DC

alexvaras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby alexvaras » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:18 pm

They should since they paid for one kind of service that now it's going to be changed, free users have no choice, at some point we will asked for agree the new agreement, etc. PRO users need to do it before that deadline probably it's the date of the acquisition.
New way to say the old fashined "my way or highway".
These are my guessings, no need to be right.

jamesmck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby jamesmck » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:07 pm

Here is a quote from Smugmug's FAQ (I have made one sentence bold):
"As part of the acquisition, all Flickr accounts will eventually move to SmugMug’s Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Starting from the date when the service email was sent, you will have 30 days to either accept their Terms or opt out. If you do nothing in that time, your account will simply transition from the current Yahoo Terms of Service to SmugMug’s Terms. If you don’t want to make this change, you can delete your Flickr account from your Account Settings page. If you want to preserve a copy of your photos, be sure to download them from the Camera Roll first."
James McKearney
Washington, DC

PFMcFarland
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Postby PFMcFarland » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:08 pm

I finally got my e-mail too, and after reading it realized the person who posted his on the other forum left parts of it out, especially how everything would move if you do nothing, and opting out is what triggers the removal of your Flickr account after 30 days.

Now that I've seen the full text, the picture is much clearer. I haven't read the SM T.O.S. yet, but have heard they are somewhat conservative when it comes to nudity and such (basically they don't allow it), and that may drive some photographers off the service.

PF
Waiting for the light

Social Media

Return to “Product News”