PhotographyToday.net

Discussions, Community, Learning

Here's the Olympus PEN-F

News from manufacturers. Product announcements.
melek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Here's the Olympus PEN-F

Postby melek » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:33 am

olympus_pen_f_02.jpg
olympus_pen_f_02.jpg (74.09 KiB) Viewed 5126 times

Olympus made the announcement first on its U.K. and global site and a bit later this morning on its North American sites.

Nice looking camera with some nice features.

Here's my write-up and some photos.
-Mike Elek

Philip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Here's the Olympus PEN-F

Postby Philip » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:14 pm

Thanks, Mike, for the information. It is a pretty camera.

Strange thing in that video with "Nathan from Olympus": twice he says either the original Pen-F or the current Pen-F is a rangefinder. Hmmm. Do they know what a rangefinder camera is? That aside, it does look like a good grab-and-hold sort of street-and-candid camera. I have plenty of film cameras like that, but only one digital camera has given me that confidence -- the Fujifilm X100. This new Pen-F seems to be attempting to get at that same market, though with the advantage (if that is what it is!) of interchangeable lenses.

If I had CAN$2000 to throw at it, I'd probably do it. I already have a Pen E-P2, and an OM-D E-M1 -- both M4/3-mount cameras like this one. And I have a range of decent and not-so-hot lenses to fit them. Together, my two M4/3 cameras do all the things I need interchangeable-lens cameras to do, and my Fuji X100 does all the rest (which seems to be everything the new Pen-F would like to do for me).

I grant, I suppose, the new Pen-F does have some nice improvements on my present arrangement, like the the super-duper "composite" file size which looks really good for some shots. But, sigh, I haven't got that kind of money. . . . unless I win a lottery. :)
My Flickrs: http://www.flickr.com/flipflik (recent postings), or
- http://www.flickriver.com/photos/flipflik/popular-interesting/ (Flickr's calculation of my "most interesting" pics);
- http://www.flickr.com/photos/flipflik/sets/72157608879115542/ (what I like best).

Julio1fer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Postby Julio1fer » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:26 pm

A personal reaction: What?? All those little wheels and no ISO dial? Or some white balance wheel?

I wonder why manufacturers go to the classic look (supposedly to lure classically minded photographers) but do not provide the full, easy manual control that those photographers would like to have. Why would I want all those scene controls instead of ISO control? And "art" in a wheel position - how convenient if true.

That said, it is an interesting camera. I am not thinking of spending these $ but if I had them, I'd rather go for these types than for a big DSLR.

melek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Postby melek » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:41 pm

Olympus is definitely trying to reach a certain group with this camera. Sometimes, a very vocal group will convince a manufacturer to make something, and then only a fraction of that group ever buys the camera.

The fact that Olympus is already calling it a "collectible" says a lot. I've never thought of any digital camera as a collectible.

I like the design and the viewfinder, but it seems really pricey.

Whoever wrote the script for the video obviously has never touched a film PEN-F, which is an SLR. And the actor isn't a film guy, either. In fact, apparently no one at Olympus involved with the production and approval of the video has ever touched a PEN-F.
-Mike Elek

Julio1fer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Postby Julio1fer » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:47 pm

Maitani-san must be turning over in his grave.

Bennybee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Bennybee » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:21 am

Sweet camera, although a bit pricey. I already have the EM5 (Mk1) and wouldn't mind adding this Pen F to the arsenal. I wonder
how good the b/w pictures will be OOC. My EM5 can do monochrome as well, but I find it leaves just a bit to be desired in comparison with color pictures converted to b/w in PSE. The Pen F seems to offer a bunch more possibilities, but I'd like to find a good test report to see if its possibilities are good enough for a b/w fan, or just gimmicks. I don't expect it to be as good as the Leica Monochrome of course. The one other thing that bothers me is the silly fold-open LCD monitor instead of a flip-up screen (as in the EM-5 Mk1) : if Olympus meant this Pen F to be 'the perfect camera for street shooters' (as they say), then surely they should have used a tilt screen instead (and perhaps weather sealing too).

Social Media

Return to “Product News”