PhotographyToday.net

Discussions, Community, Learning

Wet Collodian Contest

Reports from product shows, as well as photography exhibits. If you know of an upcoming exhibit or want to inform others about your own, please add it here.
PFMcFarland
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Wet Collodian Contest

Postby PFMcFarland » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:41 pm

The folks at Modern Collodian held their first annual contest this year, and the results are in.

https://moderncollodion.com/2018-competition-results/

Make sure to browse the two pages of all the submissions, though be aware some images are a bit "artsy" (NSFW). I didn't see anything from Robert, so he'll have to put this on his calendar for next year.

PF
Waiting for the light

Brazile
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Wet Collodian Contest

Postby Brazile » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:07 am

Thanks for posting that, PF, very interesting. I think I liked Shane Balkowitsch's Blacksmith shot better than some of those chosen, but they were all fun. I've seen some of the other entries on the LFPF.

Have to say, though, I've never done wet plate collodion myself. Was originally put off by the chemistry involved, then by the fussiness and time-sensitivity of the process, then just got more wrapped up in gelatin dry plate (which is, more or less, the same stuff as the usual film we use, just on glass instead of film). I may get to it at some point, but probably not until I feel like I've gotten closer to mastering this technique.

I am, however, somewhat interested in collodion chloride printing. I'm still experimenting with the various printing processes (cyanotype, salt, albumen, hand-poured silver gelatin -- whether bromide or chloride, carbon) to see how they respond to various kinds of negatives and scenes. May take a workshop on it at some point, but I have my hands full at the moment just trying to keep working on things in the midst of a wave of business travel...nearly finished, thank goodness.

Robert

alexvaras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Wet Collodian Contest

Postby alexvaras » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:53 am

Amazing stuff Phil, thanks for posting.

Social Media

Return to “Shows, Exhibits and Events”