PhotographyToday.net

Discussions, Community, Learning

First roll in the Canon F1

Often simply written as "W/NW" - your favorite photos. Explain them, or let your photos (film or digital) speak for themselves.
PFMcFarland
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: First roll in the Canon F1

Postby PFMcFarland » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:39 pm

That would be the model I'd want, Benny. Classic all the way! I've got some FDn lenses that would go perfect with it.

PF
Waiting for the light

Bennybee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Bennybee » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:17 am

Phil, incidentally I am thinking of selling mine, in one of those scaling-down frenzies that I have every so often. A few of my Nikomats will also have to go. I need the money to buy back the RB67 that I sold during the last selling wave and which I regret.

PFMcFarland
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Postby PFMcFarland » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:14 pm

Must...resist...the...force!

It's tempting, Benny, but I planned a long time ago to rid myself of any Canon gear. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

PF
Waiting for the light

Bennybee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Bennybee » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:05 am

No worries, Phil. The camera doesn't absolutely have to go NOW. It looks pretty good in my camera cabinet... ;-)

Don Day
Amateur
Amateur

Postby Don Day » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:52 pm

Benny, how are you setting the white point for your scan? I find that scanning software automatically defaults to cutting off a lot of highlight detail, which also looks like this. I make certain to use the full 0-255 output scale, and set the levels to include pretty much all tones for the scan, and then in Photoshop I'll use levels again for my interpretive preference for where the tones end up. Point being that the scan has all tones that have not been absolutely blocked up in the negative itself.

Bennybee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby Bennybee » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:26 pm

Don, I use a Kodak Pakon F135 film scanner. It scans a 36exp film in one go which takes 2.5 minutes or so - no possibility to prescan and intervene before final frame scan. I then tweak the jpg minimally in PSE : only levels. In the case of the above image the curve didn't go all the way to the right, so I slid the white triangle to the left, until the end of the curve.

Social Media

Return to “Words/No Words”