PhotographyToday.net

Discussions, Community, Learning

Screwdrivers

Share your advice about camera repair or ask a question.
alexvaras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Screwdrivers

Postby alexvaras » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:41 am

Hello,

Reading about the tools to have to repairing cameras, the slot screwdrivers seem a basic item. I saw Vessel ones are recommended in some web sites. Bad luck for me, here in Moscow I should order them from Ebay, so I was taking a look of some watches repair website and I would like you to take a look a tell me if they are correct for the task.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=es&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Ftdchas.ru%2Fproduct_info.php%3Fproducts_id%3D2956&edit-text=

They are from France with some high standard steel for watches repair...

Thanks a lot for your input!

PFMcFarland
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Re: Screwdrivers

Postby PFMcFarland » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:57 pm

They look nice, but I'm not sure if the sizes are appropriate for camera repair. A halfway decent set of SAE or Metric screwdrivers do fine with older cameras. Newer stuff, especially Japanese cameras, need the JIS style of screwdrivers.

PF
Waiting for the light

alexvaras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby alexvaras » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:19 am

I got them, not those exactly but ones good enough for taking out a very small screw from the Yashica Minister-D lens.

One less thing to the get the minimum repair kit :)

alexvaras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Postby alexvaras » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:15 pm

A little review about screwdrivers for opening cameras / lenses / shutters.

I bought Chinese / Japanese / French and in that order are the bad, the good and the awesome.

I detail, the precision screwdrivers I found on eBay from China has some kind of strange precision, but just in the label, not in the final product at all, they are dull and with defects.
The Japanese ones, from 0.8 to 2.3 plus two jigs. The cross jigs are fine, the slotted (flat) 0.8mm till 1.2mm are fine, but the others are too often to thick for some large screws at the compur shutter. The best thing of these ones are the rubber around the metal helps you to apply more torque.
The French (I recommend the ones with AF standard, slotted/flat) are just the right tool, before I had them I could find some rebel screw and suffer, now Im pretty confident using them and no screw resisted so far. The 3mm one is a star, blue or purple shine and the best part is you can add the rubber from the previous screws if you need it, so far I had no need.

Of course two French AF are the price of the Japanese ones, but for this kind of jobs are an investment or an insurance of a web done job.
I hope this can help others.

More variants from you are welcome!

Social Media

Return to “The Fix-It Forum”