Thinking ahead

Accessories, tripods, the future of digital and other topics that don't fit within one of the other categories.
GrahamS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Thinking ahead

Post by GrahamS » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:48 am

Dismayed wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:35 pm
Nice photos on your flickr site, Graham.
Thank you, sir.
GrahamS
Age brings wisdom....or age shows up alone. You never know.

GrahamS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by GrahamS » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:54 am

PFMcFarland wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:01 pm
Thanks, Alex and Graham. I'm still trying to figure out how to change the metering and focusing modes, Graham, as those seem to have been buried in the menu while they were buttons on the D300s. Once I find them I'll have to program a couple of function buttons for quick settings.

PF
Metering mode: Button just in front of the top screen. Easy to reach without taking the camera away from your eye.
Focussing mode: Hold the focus button left bottom of lens mount in (in centre of MF/AF lever) and change mode with the rear control dial.
:D
GrahamS

PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:30 pm

Thanks, Graham, but what I really want to do is select a single focal point, and so far I can't find a way to do that.

PF
Waiting for the light

PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:52 pm

Okay, I went through all the instructions for setting AF, and even though there is a way to select a single focal point, my camera will not do it. I'll have to dig deeper and see if the previous owner made a change somewhere that I'm not seeing.

PF
Waiting for the light

GrahamS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by GrahamS » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:58 am

Press the button in the centre of the AF/MF lever and hold it in. Change the AF mode with the rear control dial (AF - S, AF-A, AF-C). Change the AF point with the front control dial (Single point, Auto) and set the number of AF points in the Custom Setting menu (a. Autofocus)
GrahamS

PFMcFarland

Post by PFMcFarland » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:35 pm

GrahamS wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:58 am
Press the button in the centre of the AF/MF lever and hold it in. Change the AF mode with the rear control dial (AF - S, AF-A, AF-C). Change the AF point with the front control dial (Single point, Auto) and set the number of AF points in the Custom Setting menu (a. Autofocus)
I finally figured that out after reading the instructions over and over just a few minutes ago. They left out the detail about using the front dial. I now have it in single point mode. Yeehaw! Thanks for all the help, Graham.

PF
Waiting for the light